I’ve been privileged, both directly (with financial and material support from family) and indirectly (in that I’ve been able to work to earn some extra cash). I’ve used those resources for the great credo:
Spend your money where you spend your time
And so I’ve spent significant amounts of money on PCs. I find it enjoyable to keep a record of my previous rigs, so here it is. Older entries were constructed from memory, newer ones are more reliable as they’re created from a “paper” trail.
- 2017: Intel Core i7-7700K + 32GB RAM + GeForce GTX 1080
- 2013: Intel Core i7-4500U (Laptop – Dell XPS-12)
- 2012: Intel Core i5-2500K + 16 GB RAM + GeForce GTX 560 Ti
- 2009: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 + 4GB RAM + Radeon HD 4870
- 2005: Intel Pentium M740 (Laptop – Acer Aspire 1692)
- 2001: AMD Athlon XP + ?? RAM + GeForce 2
- 1998: AMD K6-2 + ?? RAM + 3Dfx Voodoo2
- 1994: Unknown brand 486 (66 MHz) with co-processor + 16 (?) MB RAM
- 1990: Tulip 286 (10 MHz) + 1 (?) MB RAM
My most recent (2017) build was actually the trigger for this post: I’m very pleased with how it turned out and how well it works (and I’m hoping it will continue working so well).
If you care about the details of the various builds, and some of the backstories: check out my extended PC List.
And you, dear reader? Do you remember your old rigs too?